Saturday, April 20, 2013

TAKE HOME ENVELOPE ACTIVITIES


It's no secret that teachers are amazing at multitasking! As we begin the race to the end of the year, we are also prepping materials for BACK TO SCHOOL time...sorry if reading that just made your <3 skip a beat! Typing it sure did mine!

Uh-hum, ok, moving on!  I want to share with you a simple set of materials that I start sending home at the beginning of the year. It is a perfect project to have your wonderful parents helpers start on now!

These are Take Home Activity Envelopes.  I send them home to give my students nightly, at-home, HANDS-ON practice with essential Kindergarten skills.   It provides parents with specific activities and materials that can be used to teach/reinforce these skills.

 

I give each student one storage envelope for the year!  I send it home along with a parent explanation letter and the first set of materials.  I start with letter cards and a few sets of picture cards.  I then send home the remainder of picture cards every few weeks as I teach the letters at school.  

If you like what you see so far, grab the envelope labels for FREE in my TPT store, just click HERE!  For the envelopes, I use manila letter size that the sweet office staff shares with me.  

As the year progresses, I continue to send home other material sets, including numeral/dot cards, CVC words/picture cards, and sight word cards for the students to add to the activity envelope.  Each set has a chart/list of activities to complete with the skill cards and a mini parent note suggesting how to organize the materials inside the envelope.  Sets could also be sent home with report cards to give parents specific activities to complete with their child in the area(s) in which he/she is demonstrating difficulty.  

I love the little activity charts because they give parents easy, specific ideas and activities for working with their child at home.  With the wide range of activities they suggest, it provides a level of differentiation that doesn't always occur with homework worksheets (though I do still send home weekly homework packets).  I ask the parents to choose at least one activity each night to complete with their child.

Perfect parent helper project, isn't it?!  I like to copy the cards on construction paper for durability...you know how those little five years old fingers can wrinkle and rip regular paper like nobody's business!

I'm giving away my sight word activity chart and lists FREE for you to try out in my TPT store!  Click on any picture above to link to my TPT store to start downloading. 

Time to get back to END OF THE YEAR planning now!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10