Thursday, May 9, 2013

Mom, Mother, Mama, Mum...Happy Mother's Day!

Happy, Happy Mother's Day (early) to all the moms out there! Here's a quick peak at what my little darlings did for their mothers.

I purchased flats of 8 flowers each at Home Depot. I purchased flowering Vincas because they come in several different colors and they grow in full sunlight...a necessary requirement when you live in the desert! The students chose a flower from the flat and 'planted' it in a Dixie cup.


The students then wrote Happy Mother's Day on the poem/card to give to their mother with the flower.

We also learned about adjectives. We discussed what are adjectives and then wrote adjectives for our moms on a bubble map. The students then chose one adjective from the bubble map to fill in the sentence 'My mom is _____.'

The next step was to draw a portrait of their mom. The ABSOLUTE most adorable thing was listening to the kids talk to each other about how their mom looks and then seeing how they drew her. Look at how cute they are... 






Don't you just LOVE kid illustrations?!

The materials I used with my students can be purchased from my TPT store for a buck! Click HERE to head that way! In the Mother's Day set, I've included three options for writing the sentence on the portrait page. One where they simply fill in the adjective (as seen above), one with a blank, three dotted line, and one with just a straight line.

Until next time...Happy Teaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10